Problem saving files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 23 15:05:21 CDT 2003

Hi,

Mathieu Masse <mathieu_masse at sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hi list,
>
>     I am new to gnucash, just installed it yesterday and ran into the
> following problem, which completly prevents me from using it. This is
> after a clean install (using gnucash-1.8.7-1.9.i386.rpm for Redhat 9.0
> from the link provide on gnucash.org), when I start gnucash I get the
> following error message:
>
>     The File /home/mathieu/Finances/Personal_Finances could not be
> found.

Interesting -- Did you change your home directory?  Or change uid?
This implies you had a previously saved file but either you deleted
it or you cannot read it.  Does this file exist?

> After when I create my account and try to save using File/Save As, and
> try to save it to the following file /home/mathieu/finance/account I get
> the following error:
>
>     The file /home/mathieu/.gnucash/data/finance/account could not be
> found.

This is exen stranger -- it shouldn't try to do this.  Can you run
gnucash under "strace" and see what it's actually doing?

        strace -f -o /tmp/gnucash.out gnucash

> I tried googling and bugzilla and couldn't find anything, what's the
> problem

I don't know.  My guess would be that the user running gnucash doesn't
have access to the directories.