Cannot Save Work

Donald Henson wepin at wepin.com
Wed Oct 29 13:31:41 CST 2003

I'm running SuSE Linux 8.2 Pro and GnuCash 1.8.0-30 (whatever the -30
means). Using YaST2, I have uninstalled GnuCash, rebooted my entire
system, and reinstalled GnuCash. It should be a pristine copy. Right?
When I open GnuCash (by clicking on the icon in KDE3), I get an error
message:

The file /home/dhenson/Documents/Books/Tutorial could not be found.
That's understandable since there is no Books directory in my Documents
directory. First question: Why is it looking in that directory for the
tutorial and where is the tutorial that it's looking for? A possibly
related problem is that the help system reports that the URL could not
be found, or words to that effect, when I try to access the help system.

I can get past the error message by clicking OK and I can continue on to
build an account tree, etc. However, when I try to save my work, I get
another error message:

The file /home/dhenson/.gnucash/data/Documents/Accounting/TCRF/TCRF
Accounts could not be found.

I get essentially the same error if I just click Save, or Save As, or
the Exit button. I'm not an accounting expert but I'm guessing that
something's not working correctly here. I'm pretty sure that you should
be able to save your work. Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Don Henson