Double-entry explanation

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Sep 1 11:46:35 CDT 2003

Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> I think it should start with the simple, then show the 2-account trans
> in a split view, then migrate to the paycheck example.  I have seen
> questions before on "how do I enter split transactions?" from people
> used to doing so on Quicken or Money, etc.  Perhaps subdividing the
> section into subsections or something would make it easier to navigate.

Oh, I totally agree that we need to have a simple, easy to understand
example of a split transaction... in which we introduce it by first
showing a simple 2 account transaction... and we do just this in Chapter
4, Section 4.2.2:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/txns_registers1.html#txns_registers_multiaccount2

I just don't think we should be confusing new users with this in chapter
2.  This really is the first part of the documentation where the new
user sees GnuCash for the first time.  We have not introduced concepts
such as "Accounts" (chapter 3) or "Transactions" (chapter 4) yet.  Heck,
at this point the new user hasn't even learned how to create a new
GnuCash file.  I think the idea of chapter 2 is to introduce the concept
of double entry accounting, not to show more advanced features of GnuCash.

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil