Fixed asset appreciation?

Peter D. Pawelek ppawel at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 6 12:18:36 CDT 2003

Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of Gnucash (been using it for about a week,
no previous accounting experience). What I'd like to do is reflect the
appreciation of my house since it was purchased in 1999. I know the current
market value, but I've entered the original purchase value as a liability.

Having read the documentation, an example is given for asset depreciation in
which an expense account is setup to reflect the loss in the value of an
asset.

Two questions regarding this, then:

(1) I suppose that to do the converse, I'd setup an income account to reflect
the increase in house value?

(2) If so, how do I balance the income account? Draw from 'Equity' ?

Sorry if this sounds like an ignorant question, but I am an accounting 'n00b'.
;)

Love the program, btw.

Peter Pawelek