Fixed asset appreciation?

Walt Pennington wpennington at pennfirm.com
Sat Sep 6 14:08:33 CDT 2003

Normally an unrecognized market appreciation on a depreciable asset is
not recorded until the asset is sold.  An example is a stock.  At the
end of the year, your stock may have either increased or decreased in
value, but you will not record any gain or loss until you sell the
stock.

Most accountants would probably advise against trying to recognize
(create an accounting entry) an unrealized gain (no asset sale) and
increase your asset value.  The principal reason is that you cannot know
the asset's value until you sell it.  If the asset is a house, and the
housing market is hot, and your price may temporarily increase by 40%,
this could be offset by either a market decline or an alternate
appraisal at a lower value.

Depreciation of assets are allowed by accounting rules and tax laws.
Appreciation is not recognized (recorded) until realized (transaction
occurs).

Having read the above, if you still want to record the event, you would

HOUSE                          15,000
    Unrealized Gain                 15,000

The gain is an income account.

Walt Pennington