retiring old transations?

reriding at xmission.com reriding at xmission.com
Sat Sep 6 13:00:37 CDT 2003

On  6 Sep, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> I am using gnucash with the XML backend.  My database has grown
> to about 2.5M.  After another year, I probably want to retire
> old transactions which are more than 2 years old.  Is there an
> easy way to do this?

Well, I simply save the year's data in ~/gnucash/<year>, clone the
account structure, and use the year-end balances as opening balances via
the equity account, then save again as ~/gnucash/<new_year>.  Thus I
have only one year's transactions at a time in any file, but can easily
reload the old transactions by opening the year they are from.
--
Bert Riding
reriding at xmission.com
gnupg fingerprint:
C0F6 E202 EFB3 F332 CAB0  85D4 A113 9F46 3C93 5A6E