General Installation Questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 15 13:25:26 CDT 2003

www.gnucash.org/pub/

> 2) Is there a binary file that is pre-compiled?

See above

> 3) I am running things in root at this time. Not a
> good thing for the long run. But to get my feet wet I
> wanted to not have issues with permissions.
>
> Where is the Configuration File to put all the
> configuration parameters for the gnucash for root?

I don't understand the question.

> Do I need to run all those installs mentioned in the
> Readme file? If so does anyone have some ideas on how
> to make it so I can make it through the installs?

You shouldn't have to actually build anything, however you will need
to fulfil the dependencies.  RH8.0 has all the packages you need
pre-built as RPMS, so you'll just have to use RPM to install all the
dependencies you need.  Basically this will include all the gnome
libraries.

> 4) Do you have a recommendation of books or sites that
> would save me time in learning the basics without
> getting too technical. I'm running a business that is
> already technical and more technical is not good at
> this time. I know Unix pretty well but the ins and
> outs of Linux is new to me.

Linux is so close to other Unix systems....  The user-space commands
are pretty much the same between Solaris, BSD, Linux, etc.  There
are a few differences, but not many.  Your local bookstore should
have many books on the subject of Linux in general.