General Installation Questions

Gregory Spehar spehar at full-knowledge.com
Mon Sep 15 09:29:28 CDT 2003

Sorry for these questions I am very new to Linux. I
have used Unix Solaris and others in the past since I
am an engineer but I am new to Linux and how to
install applications like that of gnucash. I would
like to be an avid user and get away from MS if
possible.

Using RedHat 8.0 with KDE desktop.
Thiz version 3.0.3-2Thiz
Linux version 2.4.18-12Thiz

1) Is there some archives I could use to install
gnucash?

2) Is there a binary file that is pre-compiled?

3) I am running things in root at this time. Not a
good thing for the long run. But to get my feet wet I
wanted to not have issues with permissions.

Where is the Configuration File to put all the
configuration parameters for the gnucash for root?

Do I need to run all those installs mentioned in the
Readme file? If so does anyone have some ideas on how
to make it so I can make it through the installs?

4) Do you have a recommendation of books or sites that
would save me time in learning the basics without
getting too technical. I'm running a business that is
already technical and more technical is not good at
this time. I know Unix pretty well but the ins and
outs of Linux is new to me.

(I want jump from the dark side!)

Thanks
Greg