moving transactions between accounts

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan cosmodog at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 14:47:18 CDT 2003

Glen,

I have rewritten the FAQ for this question to clarify and extend.  If
it appears improved to your "new user eyes"  maybe Jon and the doc
squad will adopt it.

 From
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/appendixb_using.html>

B.3.1. Q: How can I move the transactions from account A into account
B, thus combining them?

<Current answer>
A: There is no easy way to do this, you will need to change every
transaction reference for account A to account B.  Use the "Find
Transactions" feature and search for splits where Account = account A.
This will list all of them in a single journal-style register window
where you can actually edit the accounts.  Change the transfer account
in each from A to B.  As you edit the transactions they will be removed
from the register. When the register is empty, account A will be empty
and you can remove it.
</Current answer>

<Proposed Answer>
A: At present, Gnucash does not offer a way to move groups of splits
from one account to another. You will need to move them one at a time.
Open the register for account A and select
Menu>View>Style>Transaction_Journal to expose all the splits.  For
every split where the "Account" field shows account A reset it to
account B. The transactions will disappear from the A register (and
reappear instantly in the B register if you happen to have it open.)

Be careful!  If you inadvertently reset the "Account" field to some
other account, you will need luck to correct your mistake.  For this
reason, if you need to move more than a few splits it is safer to open
registers for both account A and B and use  Menu>Edit>Cut_Transaction
and Menu>Edit>Paste_Transaction.  This will do what you want and
because the end points of the move are predetermined there is no danger
that transactions will get dropped accidentally into unknowable
accounts.
</Proposed Answer>

Thanks,

Richard