Reconciliation in the past

Victor Roberts vic at lighting-research.com
Tue Sep 16 16:39:22 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 13:48, Laurent Duperval wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have never used the reconciliation feature of GC. Now I want to
> reconcile everything with my bank statements, starting from January. But
> since I'm always interrupted (a wife and three children will do that to
> you), I want to do it month by month. Is this possible? I tried doing
> it, giving the date of the statement as Feb 1 2003. When I enter all the
> transactions, I end up with a Difference that is non-zero. Is this
> normal or not? I reviewed the statement and the entries and it looks
> like everything is OK. I chaecked and the difference is equal to a
> mortgage payment. However, the mortgage payment appears on my statement
> and in my GC sheet.
>
> Can anyone explain to me what (if?) I'm doing wrong?

I am just starting to use gnucash and have never done a reconciliation.
However,I have reconciled very old accounts in Quicken using the
month-by month method. As long as you have the correct opening balance,
closing balance and transactions for each month, and start with the
oldest month, there is no reason why this should not work. Are you sure
that the mortgage payment did not appear twice in gnucash or twice on
your statement? (Statements for some months may include the 1st or last
day of the previous or next month due to weekends or holidays, etc.)

--
Vic Roberts