Paycheck splits and matching

doug foskey lemans4 at dodo.com.au
Sat Sep 20 17:01:00 CDT 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 01:42 am, you wrote:
> doug foskey wrote:
> > Not sure if this is what you meant:
>
> Doug, you top poster!  :)  Who do you mean by "you"?  ...you quoted both
> me and Wes.
>
> > but I set up a Periodical payment for my
> > Pay. I split it into various accounts, & it is editable before you pass
> > the final entry screen (ie when the payment is ready to be posted, it is
> > editable before it is entered into the account(s). My pay is mainly the
> > same, but about 1 pay in 4 changes, so is edited. (If the norm changes,
> > edit the periodical payment under periodical payments)
>
> So, you are talking about setting up Scheduled Transactions to do your
> paycheck?  If so, cool.  Do you want to write up a little HOWTO on the
> subject?  If so, I can add it to the docs.
>
> I'm just curious, is this somehow easier than just simply using the
> automatic completion feature for splits?  I guess one advantage of using
> SX for this is that GnuCash will notify you when it thinks you've
> received a paycheck, right?

I have set up all my regular incoming & outgoing expenses as a group of
(fdifferent timed) periodical payments. This helps me remember when payments
are due (for instance my rate payments are spread over 4 payments 2 months
apart. By setting up the payments as periodical I don't forget to budget for
them, & get reminded when they are due.) Incomings of my paycheck are
similarly set up, with splits in the periodical payment to cover for all the
fees & charges that are on my payslip (ie a Tax account, Union fees acct,
Superannuation, etc etc.) When the payment (or received monies) is due, if
the modifications are small, edit before the final periodical payment screen
(meaning when the splits are shown before being moved to the relevant
account). Hint: I find it good to track my sick leave, & other entitlements
as a comment in the splits - Perform a global find for your pay transactions,
then look back until you find the last leave you noted. Then add or subtract
from the saved text & save in the new transaction text, till next time -
sounds complicated, but works for me!)

NB: when we get inventory tracking in Gnucash, we may be able to save our
leave as an inventory item?? (just a thought)