Was: Problems installing gnucash-1.8.7

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Tue Sep 23 10:59:05 CDT 2003

Thanks to Matthew Vanecek and Derek Atkins for their assistance in
installing gnucash-1.8.7.

As someone else had mentioned, this was not an easy install.  It seemed
that I spent a lot of time trying to get all the dependencies installed.
I ended up installing anything in my RPM database that had the
term "gnome" and "develop".  Even that did not cover all the files
needed.  Anyway it is now installed.

------------------

Next problems:

I notice that the help and tutorial parts don't work.  That is to say
that I get the outline for the topics, but cannot open the topics.  The
error I get says that "the URL cannot be found."  Does this only work if
one is "on-line", or are there http files that were supposed to be
installed also?

Also, I added GNUcash to my menu structure using 'menudrake' (Mandrake
9.1).  When I installed gnucash-1.8.1 that came with the distribution, I
had a really nice icon for gnucash that was already set up in the menu
system.  Is that icon available, and are there special settings that I
need to include in 'menudrake' to run gnucash-1.8.7?

Thanks.

Now, if I can only get my accounts, from my MS Money 2001 QIF import, to
balance.  How did that retained earnings account work???????????????