International usage.

gh gh1000 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 09:55:26 CDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 14:23, Agustin Cuenca wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It is my first post to the list  so I apologize if this is already
> discussed, but I have browsed the list archives and I have not found
> anything.
>
> As you can tell form my English, I am Spanish, and being Spanish trying
> to use GnuCash is a pretty complex issue, mainly if you think about
> Small Business usage.
>
> The main problem is not with literals or menus, or help but with the
> usage of fiscal and banking concepts that are mainly Spanish, as there
> are other that are country dependent.
>
> Have this issues being already discussed?
>
> How can I customize GnuCash (If I can) to fit the Spanish model? i.e.
> Pension Plans have special tax implications.
>
> Another examples are: VAT (different %), VAT payments, Soc Security
> payments for SOHO, and much more.
>
> Another issue is the chart of accounts. In Spain the rules of accounting
> including names and account numbers are definned by law (Plan General
> Contable), does any of you know of any one who has already created that
> set of accounts?
>
> When I have look arround for a set of accounts(minimal) to start up in
> Spanish a SOHO file, I coudn't  find any in the net. If you think it is
> appropriate I can share mine with the list.
>

> Regards, Agustin.

I have been in a similar situation (accounts defined by law, complex tax
interactions) and found GC very capable. It is, after all, a program based on
universal accounting principles. But, yes, you are right, it needs a big
effort to set the accounts just the way you wanted them to work (or are
required by law).
Therefore I think that a template of accounts that conforms to the accounting
laws of any country is a great asset for GC.
Maybe somebody else in the list can tell whom or how to contribute the
template.

gh