Budgeting - Let's decide what we want!

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Tue Sep 30 09:44:58 CDT 2003

Darin, et al,

I wouldn't have a need for separate budget categories. Indeed, it would
just add work. I'd rather click on an existing account to display in the
budget. If categories are used, allow them to be initialized from
existing accounts so no redundant typing is necessary.

If the subaccounts are selected, they are shown. If not, they are
still reflected in the calculations of the parent account.

You didn't mention quarterly budget periods. They are a nice compromise
between monthly and annual.

It should OK to change the period in the budget report. For example, I
might budget for $120/year on Expenses:Groceries but the report might be
monthly, which will show $10/month.

An auto-fill function based upon the spending in the last chosen period
would be nice.

I checked out the screen shots. If I'm reading it correctly, the Track
Budget tab should really be a Budget Report tab on the main Gnucash
screen so that it is consistent with other Gnucash reports. I'd also
like it to show Planned and Actual columns for each month in the last
quarter or year, or each quarter in the last year or simply just the
last month, quarter, or year (all customizable with the Options button).
Of course, where the actual is greater than the planned (for expense,
vice-versa for income), the line should be stand out. A bold font might
be enough, or red.

Sorry for the delay, as you probably read in another note, I hadn't been
getting my gnucash-user fix. Stewart, perhaps you can merge this into
your req's?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD