Help with OSX install or conversion from GNUCash to Quicken

Howard Kim howard.kim at anderson.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 24 17:54:29 CDT 2003

> One such answer is that you have to enable fink unstable (if I
> remember correctly).

John is right.  If you don't enable fink unstable, gnucash doesn't even
show up.

>> I really don't want to spend hours porting this code. It really seems
>> like a huge amount of
>> work and I am not a coder.

You are not porting, compiling.

>> I wanted to know if someone could hook me up
>> with some binaries.

Unfortunately, most of what you need will have to be installed from
source.

I have been successfully using gnucash under OSX (Apple X11 beta 3) for
a number of months now.  The install does take a long time, but it is
not because of gnucash.  In order to get gnucash working, there a lot
of libraries, gnome, glade, perl and other supporting software that
needs to be installed (which your linux system probably already had).
Don't be discouraged, it is worth the work.

Here is some info on how I did it.  I know this is a bit off topic
(more Fink related than gnucash) but gnucash is the primary reason I
use the Apple X11 so I guess it is kinda relevant. :)

1. Make a backup of /usr/bin/head.  The libwww package in Fink is known
to replace this file thus breaking stuff all over the place.
Therefore, I suggest installing libwww and its dependencies first.
Then make sure /usr/bin/head is okay.

2. Don't try to install too many things at once.  Select gnucash to
install and when the list of dependencies are show, write them down.
Then cancel the install and go through the dependencies chunk by chunk.
  I noticed that fink commander (I'm assuming you are using fink
commander, if not you should) sometimes installs stuff in a bad order.

3. Be patient.  Unfortunately most of the software will have to be
installed from source which means the software must be configured and
compiled.  This can be a time consuming process, but once again, I say
it is worth it.

If you have any questions about the specifics of anything I said, let
me know.

Best of luck,
Howard