xfer between accounts question

cosmodog at comcast.net cosmodog at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 21:59:01 EST 2004

Bob,

I feel your pain.  The "number" field is not really an appropriate
place for recording check numbers.  A half work around is to prefix the
check number to differentiate the accounts.  It's only a 1/3 work
around if you choose a non numeric prefix because you will break the
one touch increment feature (which is a comforting win.)

It's only a half work around because it fails when you have two or more
checks involved, like a deposit to your common account that includes a
check from each of you.

I put a check number in the "number" field because it is visible in all
the register styles, most transactions involve only one check, and I
have learned to tolerate the confusion of overlapping check ranges.
But I _also_ record the check number in the "action" field for each
split that represents a check.  When I need more clarity, sorting on
the action field will separate away the checks from other accounts
making it possible, for example, to scan for missing check numbers.

Richard