Employee section of the business menu

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 9 10:52:15 EDT 2004

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

>> The tax table of an employee expense voucher work the exact same way
>> as the tax table of a vendor bill.  You can treat them the same.
>
> Thanks, Derek,
>
> Finally had some time to dig a bit deeper into this -
>
> If I create a new expense voucher, there is no tax-table field in the
> register section - i have
>
> Date | In | Description | Action | Expense Account | Quantity | Unit Price |
> Subtotal | Billable? | Payment
>
> - which all make sense and do what I expect, but in the New Bill section I
> get additional fields Taxable? | Tax Included? | Tax Table
>
> How do I enable the tax table for the employees section? File -> Properties
> will only let me set a default tax table for [Customer | Vendor], not
> employee.  I see nothing else in any menu which looks suitable.
> I am running 1.8.7 - is this something which has changed in 1.8.8?

My appologies.  You don't.  Employee Expense Vouchers do not contain
Tax Tables.  There is no way to enable it, because it's not supported.

>> If an employee pays VAT on an expense, they should claim the VAT on
>> the expense in the same way that you would claim VAT on a non-employee
>> business expense.
>>
>> -derek
>
> I disagree with what I _think_ you are saying here.  (IANAA, but I have kept
> (small) business accounts for 10 years).
> In the UK, it is very difficult for a non business entity to register for
> VAT.  If an employee buys something on the behalf of the business, then the
> business refunds the full expense to the employee and then treats the
> transaction as though it was made by the business - similar to A/P with 0
> days credit terms.   The business, not the individual is responsible for
> the VAT calculations and claims.

Gnucash does not support this in the employee expense system.  It was
meant to be _SIMPLE_.  Tax Tables are anything _but_ simple.  It adds
THREE more columns for the poor employee to enter.

But... file an RFE to get it added.

> The way I am doing this at the moment (a hang-over from years of working
> with a _very_ old version of Quicken) is to have a liability account for
> employees and entering transactions manually with a split for the VAT
> (Quicken did the VAT tracking automatically), which seems to me much more
> long-wided and error prone than the Gnucash->AP way of doing things, and
> harder to get reports on a per-employee basis.  I think that the expenses
> voucher would be a better way to work, but I really want to avoid manual
> VAT calculations if possible.

UGGH.  I really don't want to do this, but if you say it's necessary
I'll grudingly do it when I get the time, and if you file an RFE.  I
plan to make it an option so it can be turned on and off, which means
it probably wont make it into a 1.8 release.  It definitely wont make
it into 1.8.9.