Bill amount <> check amount

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 18 11:42:16 EDT 2004

Phil <sublime78ska at comcast.net> writes:

> I created a bill for 85.22.  I paid it, and in my checking acct register
> is a check (7110) for 85.22.  However, when I actually wrote the check,
> I wrote 85.11.

This is why you should "print" your checks instead of hand-writing
them ;)

> When I reconciled my bank statement, I changed the check amount to 85.11
> so the statement would balance.

ok, this is handled just fine.

> Then, my bills due reminder showed I owed 11 cents (true, but I already
> paid it on the next month's bill.)  To balance the bill, I added a split
> to check 7110 to credit (rebate column) the expense account 11 cents.
> Now everything is balanced.

Uhh, did you "pay" the next month's bill _before_ you corrected the
transaction?  If so, that's why you're getting the reminder.  If
not, then I'm not sure what's going on.

Also, when you paid the next month, did you tell gnucash that you paid
$X + $0.11?  Or did you just tell GnuCash that you paid $X?

> My question is: Is this the correct way to do it?

No.  Now you probably have an extra $0.11 sitting around in your A/P
account.  This will get "applied" to your next bill, but then you'll
be out of balance.

Once you corrected the transaction amount you should have just
continued on as usual.  The next month should correct everything if
you "pay" the extended amount.