Entering scheduled transactions.

Donald Henson tcrf at tcrf.com
Sat Apr 10 16:02:35 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 18:02, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:11:08AM +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>
> | I use scheduled transactions more as reminders.  If I have a schedulered bank
> | debit, there is no problem.  If I have an account to take action to pay, I
> | schedule it for the due date.  When I enter the transaction in Quicken or
> | Money, I get a dialog allowing me to change the date and the amount (for
> | bills that vary,) while leaving the scheduled item unchanged for the next
> | time.  There seems to be no equivalent in Gnucash?  I can do nothing except
> | enter the transaction for the set amount on the set date.
>
> You can use the scheduled transactions in the way you describe.
>
> In the Scheduled Transaction editor, you can specify that you should be
> reminded of the transaction X days in advance [where X can be 0].
>
> As well, the template transaction in the editor will accept non-numeric
> character strings [such as "amount"] as a /variable/.
>
> When the since-last-run dialog is invoked, it will show the recently
> "come-due" transactions, as reminders if configured as such, and allow
> you to either defer or create the transaction.  If you decide to create
> the transaction, it will prompt you to provide a value for the variable
> you defined in the template transaction, and create the transaction with
> that value substituted in; if only numeric values were used, there won't
> be any value-prompting.  You can also edit the specific date or modify
> the amount on the subsequent review page.
>
> [The template transaction, here, can acutally contain an expression
>  containing variables.  If you have a multi-person or multi-party payment,
>  for example, you could make the asset-account split debit value "part_a +
>  part_b + part_c", and the expense-accountsplit credit values "part_a",
>  "part_b", "part_c".  It will prompt you for the three parts, and create
>  the correct transaction on the books.]
>
> You can do this by either creating a new Scheduled Transaction from scratch,
> or by right-clicking on an existing transaction and "schedule..."ing it.
>
> ...jsled

I've been holding your explanation until I needed it. I need it now but
I have a question. When creating an expression for a scheduled
transaction, is there any way to access the current balance of the
account? For example, (current_balance * 0.1 / 12), to be used to
calculate the current interest payment on an account? I'd appreciate any
advice.

Don Henson