Trouble with stocks from DRIP accounts

David Anderson dw.anderson at verizon.net
Tue Apr 27 19:29:56 EDT 2004

Hey guys.

I'm running GNUCash 1.8.7.  I'm trying to get some of my DRIP accounts
setup in here and I'm having some trouble.  Let me just give one
example.

I have DRIPs (Divident Reinvestment Program) with a few companies.  At
the beginning of every month, $60.00 is transferred out of one of my
saving accounts and into a 'holding account' at the particular company.
At a set date they purchase the shares for me.

I transfer $60.00 out of savings and into Investments:D.R.I.P.S.:Aqua
America (Asset).  I consider that a holding account.  When I get my
statement each month, I enter the stock purchase, which would be into
Investments:D.R.I.P.S.:Aqua America:WTR (Stock).  When I do this, the
top-level of investments loses its dollar amount (just shows a $ with
nothing else).  The Aqua America account loses its value as well (just a
$).  WTR underneat Aqua America does show the proper number of shares.
I just don't understand what is happeneing.

To give a few more details.  Investments is setup as an Asset.
D.R.I.P.S. is setup as an Asset.  Aqua America is setup as an Asset.
WTR is setup as Stock.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

-Dave Anderson