`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Elizabeth Dodd liz at billiau.net
Wed Aug 4 06:24:37 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 13:09, Harry Putnam wrote:

> First time user:
> After creating a couple of test accounts, I go to the register to
> enter some transactions.  Just simple deposit withdrawal stuff.
>
> After filling in appropriate fields I hit the `enter' button on
> toolbar.  Each time it gives me a dialog box with 3 choices.
>
> [] Balance it manually
> [] Let GnuCash add an adjusting split
> [X] Adjust current account split
>
> The default always is set as above.  But with that default if I say ok
> my newly added transaction is erased
>
> It seems I can't just ignore this useless (for my primitive use) dialog
> box.  At this point, why would I need to balance anything? I'm only
> doing transactions.  Further why would the default be something that
> erases my input?
>
> To get on past this I've been checking `Balance it manually'.  At
> least that seems to leave my transaction intact.
>
> How can I avoid having to click this tiresome choice just to enter the
> simplest transaction?  Or at least have it default to my last choice,
> like many other aspects of gnucash do.
>
> I'm trying to use this register as one would a check register, is that
> not how it is supposed to work?
>
> This little dialog box is making the process at least 3 times slower
> than it needs to be.  I don't understand the point.

You have missed a step further back.
when you write a cheque, you have to allocate the money to 'something'
you could use less than useful 'somethings' like 'household expenses'
or you can subdivide them into power / electricity/  gas/
food/ grog / eating out.
once you have the money spent being allocated to some purpose, you will not
have the irritating dialogue box

BTW would it suit others to have it default to 'manually fix' ??
Liz

--
Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself.  Being
true to anyone else or anything else is not only impossible, but the