`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Aug 3 23:09:51 EDT 2004

My setup:
*--
Software:
Linux kernel 2.6.7-1.494 Architecture i686
Fedora Core release 2.90 (FC3 Test 1)
gnucash-1.8.9-2
Hardware:
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
cpu MHz		: 1994.066
*--

First time user:
After creating a couple of test accounts, I go to the register to
enter some transactions.  Just simple deposit withdrawal stuff.

After filling in appropriate fields I hit the `enter' button on
toolbar.  Each time it gives me a dialog box with 3 choices.

[] Balance it manually
[] Let GnuCash add an adjusting split
[X] Adjust current account split

The default always is set as above.  But with that default if I say ok
my newly added transaction is erased

It seems I can't just ignore this useless (for my primitive use) dialog
box.  At this point, why would I need to balance anything? I'm only
doing transactions.  Further why would the default be something that
erases my input?

To get on past this I've been checking `Balance it manually'.  At
least that seems to leave my transaction intact.

How can I avoid having to click this tiresome choice just to enter the
simplest transaction?  Or at least have it default to my last choice,
like many other aspects of gnucash do.

I'm trying to use this register as one would a check register, is that
not how it is supposed to work?

This little dialog box is making the process at least 3 times slower
than it needs to be.  I don't understand the point.