`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Aug 5 13:31:53 EDT 2004

Dave Reed <drlinux at columbus.rr.com> writes:

> one "cash" account for you checking account
> one "income" account for deposits
> one "expense" account for withdrawals

Thanks, I was in the process of setting that up when I noticed your
post.  But for now I've discovered that by just accepting the default
tree I can get pretty much that functionality you describe.  Just type
the first `ex' or `in' and away we go.  I'm on my way to double entry
bookkeeping and will soon be the envy of all retirees on my block. : )

  Dave Alspach's post hit it on the head.

I don't think the `getting started' section really lets you know that
is a good way to get started with a setup you can expand into more
detailed bookkeeping.  It is mentioned in passing though.