`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Thu Aug 5 13:59:27 EDT 2004

This is really a request for an enhancement, but I thought I would float it
here. Gnucash really uses the last simmilar transaction description as a match, but I
would prefer to have a default for a particular merchant/description.
What happens is that I may buy groceries at ABC Market every week, but then
one week I also buy a small appliance. I enter a split for this and the
next week gnucash remembers the transaction with the extra split instead of
the typical transaction.

One could go the AI or statistical route and have gnucash learn what is
typical, but that is a lot of overhead. A simpler approach would be to have
a "make this transaction the default" button  that the user could hit to
stop gnucash from replacing typical transactions with sporadic ones.

On an earlier post: I would also prefer the default to be balance manually.

Dale Alspach