Number Colors

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 5 16:37:42 EDT 2004

John Rea <dontsend2this at yahoo.com> writes:

> Read the docs, assembled folders from the wizard and filled in data but ran
> into one problem that is probably user related: Should all numbers in the
> Accounts window be black?

Yes.

>   If so, then GnuCash is adding Assets and Expenses
> to get Equity.

No, it's not.

>   Otherwise, are the [personal] expense or [received] rebate
> columns backwards?

Yes, sort of.

If you look in the preferences you'll see there's the option of
setting which accounts "reverse" the sense of numbers.  You can change
this setting to achieve what I think you want to achieve.  As it
currently stands, some of the accounts reverse the display of credits
and debits in terms of positive and negative numbers and the colors
thereof.

This is actually a feature..  For example, when you get income, for
example, you want to see your income increase, not decrease -- so in
effect you are increasing both income AND assets.