`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 19 09:56:49 EDT 2004

Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org> writes:

>> Wish there was some simpler, less confusing way of handling this.
>> Maybe the dialog should try to explain more about why things are
>> unbalanced?
>
> I would like an option to let me leave it unbalanced and still go to
> another transaction. I usually get these when importing OFX files
> (sometimes importing QIF as well) and then go through and balance them.
> Sometimes I click on the wrong one and prefer to handle it later.

1) It's a bug that the OFX importer allows you to import imbalanced
   transactions.  This needs to get fixed THERE.

2) The qif importer should never import imbalanced transactions.  If
   it does, that, too, is a bug and I'd like to see the QIF that actually
   caused it to happen.

3) IMHO gnucash should continue to enforce the balanced transaction
   invaraint..  What needs to be fixed is that the importers need to
   not import imbalanced transactions, therefore the only time the
   imbalance dialog should happen is during manual entry.