Online Banking

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Aug 30 10:19:54 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 09:51, Paulo Jorge O. C. Matos wrote:

> I can access online my bank account. Is there an easy way to
> transfer all the information to Gnucash and update it
> automatically?

What formats/options does your bank offer for data-export?

GnuCash can do data-import for a couple of formats, but [except for
HBCI] won't really do anything "automatically".

> As far as I can tell I need my bank to support
> HBCI, right? How can I know about that? Is there a list of all
> banks supporting that?

HBCI is a German standard; banks outside Germany don't support it [?].

Apart from HBCI, there are two options which are basically "data-file
import":

* OFX -- import only; gnucash doesn't support DirectConnect.

* QIF -- Quicken Interchange Format.

As well, if you bank offers some custom CSV, you could wrangle that into
QIF yourself, and import that into GnuCash.

...jsled