Mutual Funds Cap Gains & Dividends Reinvestment

rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com
Mon Aug 30 10:48:09 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am a GnuCash Newbie and everything is going great, except that
I am trouble getting a correct Return on Investment (ROI) in the Advanced
Portfolio report.  The problem is that reinvested dividends and capital gains
are recognized by the report as basis cost, not share gains.

I understand
that the gains are not monetary but shares.  So the report needs to distinguish
basis shares from reinvested shares to correctly report the ROI.

Maybe
the problem is the way I've set up and use my accounts:

Dividends:

Income:
Dividend Income

Capital Gains:

Income: Capital_Gains_Unrealized
Income:
Capital_Gains_Realized

When I receive a capital gain or dividend I add
it to the appropriate Income table.  When I reinvest the gain or dividend,
I transfer it from the income table to the stock or fund as a buy.

Obviously
I am not doing this correctly, since the  income is represented in dollars,
not shares, so the report has no way to differentiate basis shares from reinvested
shares.  But I don't know how to do it correctly.

Thanks for your help!!

Bob Shepherd