Easiest Linux distro to upgrade GC with?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Dec 3 21:30:43 EST 2004

  Ben Pracht <bpracht at nc.rr.com>,
  In a message on Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:26:27 -0500, wrote :

BP> Hi,
BP> I'm still using version 1.8.8 and I'm having problems upgrading because
BP> I'm on RH9.  What's the best Linux disttribution to use for ease of
BP> upgrade sake?  For some reason getting updates on RH for this and other
BP> packages is a real pain.  I use Windows for everything except this

You can easily upgrade RH9 to WBL3.0 (http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/).
WBL3.0 and RH9 are fairly binary inter-compatible as well.

BP> program so all I  need is something that works.  Oh, and I'm married so
BP> I don't have hours to monkey around with device drivers, config files,
BP> etc so I'd really like something that "just works".

Get and burn the WBL3.0 CD's and enter

'linux upgradeany'

At the SYSLINUX prompt.  Should go smoothly (I've done several boxes
that way at UMass).

You should be able to get all of the various bits and pieces you need to
upgrade GnuCash, either from http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/ or from
rpmfind.net.