problem with quick-fill and multiple splits

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 13 17:08:16 EST 2004

I've been having a problem (originally with 1.8.9, but still with
1.8.10) entering transactions with multiple splits when the quick-fill
feature is used.

1. select date, tab over to Description field
2. Enter the first part of a description until it matches a previous
transaction.
3. Click the split button on the toolbar.
4. Tab past various fields to the account.  Change the account.
5. Tab over to the payment column.  Change the amount.
6. Tab to the next split in the transation.  When I arrive there, the
amount I entered in the previous split is now blank.

I have been able to determine that this only occurs if I change BOTH the
account and the amount.  Naturally, this is important for stores where
one buys a variety of goods.

This is accompanied by a bunch of lines output on the starting shell
like this:
Warning: PrintAmountInternal: Bad numeric.

The account in which I am trying to enter the transaction is a credit
card account.  My data were imported recently from a bunch of Quicken98
QIF files.  There are 7 years of data in there, so it is quite large.

I compiled 1.8.9 with CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2" and also with
CFLAGS="-g".  The problem occurred in both versions.  Version 1.8.10 has
been compiled with CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2".  The behaviour is
identical in all instances.

My system is based upon Slackware 10 with kernel version 2.6.9.  I have
installed sufficient libraries for gnome 1.4 to get gnucash to compile
as per instructions found at:
http://rjmarq.org/gnucash.html
This worked even though the instructions are for Slackware 9.1.

There is a workaround - enter a different description every time so that
the quick fill feature cannot prefill the transaction.  However, I would
prefer not to have to do this.

Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?  Or better yet, any suggestions?

Mark Johnson