problem with quick-fill and multiple splits

David Brock dmbrock at nm.cbc.ca
Tue Dec 14 10:47:15 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 17:08, Mark Johnson wrote:
> I've been having a problem (originally with 1.8.9, but still with
> 1.8.10) entering transactions with multiple splits when the quick-fill
> feature is used.
>
> 1. select date, tab over to Description field
> 2. Enter the first part of a description until it matches a previous
> transaction.
> 3. Click the split button on the toolbar.
> 4. Tab past various fields to the account.  Change the account.
> 5. Tab over to the payment column.  Change the amount.
> 6. Tab to the next split in the transation.  When I arrive there, the
> amount I entered in the previous split is now blank.
>
> I have been able to determine that this only occurs if I change BOTH the
> account and the amount.  Naturally, this is important for stores where
> one buys a variety of goods.

I remember having a similar problem with splits, but I don't remember
how I fixed it- note that I was slow starting in gnucash, including many
upgrades and reinstalls.  I also have a large data file, but during one
of my reinstalls/upgrades, this problem went away.  At one time, I
suspected that it was caused by my Currency setting (CAN) but I've found
since that a lot of Canadians use the software, and contribute to this
list, so I quashed that suspicion.

> This is accompanied by a bunch of lines output on the starting shell
> like this:
> Warning: PrintAmountInternal: Bad numeric.

However, the same error is still occurring in my system-
Warning: PrintAmountInternal: Bad numeric.
...and it comes at various times, though I haven't been able to narrow
it down much, more out of lack of time and not trying than the
difficulty of the task.  I suspect that a transaction somewhere is
slightly corrupt (is there such thing as "slightly corrupt"?)

> The account in which I am trying to enter the transaction is a credit
> card account.  My data were imported recently from a bunch of Quicken98
> QIF files.  There are 7 years of data in there, so it is quite large.

I also converted this large data file from Quicken.

> There is a workaround - enter a different description every time so that
> the quick fill feature cannot prefill the transaction.  However, I would
> prefer not to have to do this.
>
> Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?  Or better yet, any suggestions?
>
> Mark Johnson

While I'm not really providing any answers for you, I'm having, or had,
a similar problem.  If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

;-David