end of year and thank you

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 13 18:54:42 EST 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 17:22, Chris Bare wrote:
> I've been using Gnucash exclusively for nearly a year now and it's
been
> working great. Thank you again to everyone who's hard work has made
such a
> useful program.
>
> I know that Gnucash doesn't have any specific end of year operations
like some
> accounting packages do, so I wondered what the recommendations are?
Prior to
> this year, I had used Quicken for about 7 years and never done any
thing
> special at the end of the year. I just adjusted my reports as needed
to see
> the data I wanted. Is there any issue with doing that in Gnucash?
> I noticed that the Account Summary, Balance Sheet and probably some
other
> reports have only one date, so I guess they always go back to the
first transaction?

Yes, do the same with gnucash. I've been using it for two years now and
just adjust dates on reports. The account summary and balance sheet
can't use two dates. The balance sheet is the current value of your
accounts on some specified day - that has nothing to do with a start
date.

The only minor drawback is that the file grows larger and the reports
take longer to generate since there are more transactions to process.
Unless you have tons of transactions, this shouldn't be much of an
issue. I figure that as long as memory, disk space and CPU speed
continue to increase, my file will never get too big to handle. :-)

Dave