Cheque v. Check

reriding at xmission.com reriding at xmission.com
Thu Dec 30 18:30:00 EST 2004

On 30 Dec, Doctorcam wrote:
> * reriding at xmission.com (reriding at xmission.com) wrote:
>> On 30 Dec, Doctorcam wrote:
>> > * reriding at xmission.com (reriding at xmission.com) wrote:
>> >

>> [...] helping me keep my over three years of gnucash records
>> consistent.
>> [...]
>>

>> > Why do you feel you should change your previous entries?
>>
>> Mostly as stated above, consistency over 3+ years of records.
>>

>> > More to the point - I notice that on my machine, the spelling is as
>> > you describe (i.e. "cheque") for account names, but I set them up
>> > that way.  The "Print check" option uses the US spelling.  I'm
>> > using 1.8.9.  Is this a 1.8.10 thing?
>> >
>> > Cam
>> >

>> debian unstable, gnucash version 1.8.9-4, from ftp.debian.org.  The
>> exact same version I had installed before my recent re-installation.
>> My account name is Checking. As you say, I set it up that way. The
>> File-->Print Cheque and the Register Action field are now spelled
>> Cheque.  In addition, the Action field now includes "Bank Teller"
>> which it did not before.  I'm not asking for global acceptance of
>> American spelling, just some way for ME to have it!
>
> I don't blame you.
>
> You and I have the same version, since I am running a Debian
> testing/unstable mix, with the Experimental versions of libltdl3 and
> libltdl3-dev to make it work.  What happened to you sounds really
> weird, but I think it has nothing to do with gnucash.  I'm no guru
> with this stuff, but at a guess, I'd say it has to do with your
> locales.  I don't understand your reference to "Register Action" - is
> this the Actions pulldown, or something else?  Maybe I don't see this
> because I handwrite my cheques (not very many in the month, so it's
> not worth setting up printing), and have never explored this, never
> mind set it up.
>
> Back to locales: what is in /etc/locale.gen?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cam

$cat /etc/locale.gen
en_US ISO-8859-1

And yes, the Action field has the Actions pulldown menu.  I mistakenly
called the additional choice in that pulldown Bank Teller.  In fact, it
is Bank Clerk.  I have the impression that Cable is also a new entry
there.

This pulldown is useful to me to mark transactions as ATM withdrawals,
Debit Card transactions (Point of Sale, or POS), Checks, Deposits, and
so on. Like you, I suspect not gnucash itself but some associated
setting or library is the source of my problem, although my locale is
the same as before.

--
Bert Riding
reriding at xmission.com
gnupg fingerprint:
C0F6 E202 EFB3 F332 CAB0  85D4 A113 9F46 3C93 5A6E