[Derek Atkins] Re: budgeting -initial patch

Darin Willits thorstentomkin140 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:48:25 CST 2004

Derek,

>I'm VERY, VERY sorry I'm only starting to look at this now.  Mea
>Culpa.  Let me say that so far it looks pretty good.  I'm only sorry
>that I dropped the ball on this (and apparantly so did everyone else).

Thanks!  No worries about timing, I've had alot on my plate lately so it
would have been hard for me to address these issues before now anyway.

>Anyways, I've got a couple style comments and a request.  First, can
>you name your data types with a Gnc?  E.g. GncBudget,
>GncBudgetCategory, etc?  It makes it a lot easier when dealing with
>other packages.  Second, could you name your files gnc* as well (at
>least the files in src/engine)?  Granted this might cause a filename
>conflict between engine/gnc-budget and gnome/gnc-budget -- I'll leave
>it to you do deal appropriately.

I don't see any problem making these changes.  I think I was taking my cue
from the Scheduled Transactions code which is where some of the naming
conventions came from.  But I'd rather fix this stuff now to fit better with
the whole project than later when it will be significantly harder.

>Also, the request: Can you update your patch to the current code in
>CVS and, in the process, update your code to use the qofinstance
>object "class"?

Already done.  I will fix the other stuff and submit another patch.

>Finally, one question: what/why did you change (in) commodity.glade?
>I thought we already had the commodity selector dialog in CVS?

I didn't realize that I had changed anything here.  I will double check
though.  Probably just a mistaken touch on my part. oops.

>Anyways, I promise to be more timely on the next round.  It looks
>really good so far (from a cusory examination).

>Thanks for your contribution!

Thanks for the feedback!  I just made myself a cup of coffee so maybe I can
get some of this fixed and get another patch to you.

Darin