Donating to GnuCash

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Sun Feb 29 09:51:09 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 23:19, John Steele Scott wrote:
> One thing I hate about most free software donation methods is that they use
> PayPal, and I have heard so many bad stories about them. I know that I can
> buy a US money order at Australia Post, but this kind of thing has large
> transaction costs, so an electronic alternative would be good. I have seen
> some developers use Amazon wishlists as a way for supporters to reward them,
> but "cash is king", as they say.

I believe this list has talked a lot about such things and are using
source forges donation system, which if I remember correctly most
unfortunately uses PayPal.

> Another thing I would pay money for is some high quality documentation for
> report writing, similar to the "gentle introduction to Emacs Lisp" which I
> have mentioned once before on this list. That said, it would probably be
> cheaper just to pay someone to write custom reports for me (although I really
> would like to know how to do them myself).

You can read a great Intro to EMACS Lisp by Robert Chassell for free:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/

If you like it, do us a favor and buy a printed version from the Free
Software Foundation to help support Free Software. :)
http://www.gnupress.org/intro-elisp-2.5.html

> I know at one stage there was a company called Gnumatic based around GnuCash,
> but I think that has disappeared, so maybe that shows the difficulty of
> getting financial support for consumer-targetted software.

It is no longer in existence, but I am not certain it's demise is proof
positive that funding is not possible for a project like GNUCash.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
derek at gnue.org