Bug in Profit Evaluation / multiple currencies

NOSPAMuser qwertzmd at onlinehome.de
Sat Feb 28 09:41:26 CST 2004

GnuCash 1.8.6 on Mandrake 9.2

Hello all,

I am not sure whether this has been observed before. It is a bug which becomes
noticeable if you buy stocks with a foreign currency. I did the following
(and my default setup is for EURO accounts):

Transfer 5000 EUR to USD bank account (= (e.g.) 6000 USD)
Buy stocks from money in USD account

The stock value is retrieved in USD through Finance::Quote.
The Advanced portfolio report lists the stock value in EURO correctly (column
"value") but takes the "Money In" amount from the USD transaction (without
calculating the correct EURO amount in this case). Thereby it compares
"apples and  pears" (German saying), namely the correct value in EURO and
incorrect "Money In" amount which it takes from a USD transaction but
interprets it as if it where the corresponding EURO amount.

Anyone any idea how to change this? Can I customize the report? Or has it been
fixed in a newer version?

Thanks, otherwise GREAT JOB!!

Markus