account balances

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 1 17:02:10 CST 2004

Hi,

First, please CC gnucash-user on all responses...

James Bowes <j_bowes at telus.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 12:34, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> Hi Derek.
>

>> I dont think I understand what you want to do..  You've got a credit
>> card account and as you make charges against it you apply a credit
>> to the account and debit expenses... Then when you pay the credit card
>> you debit the CC account and credit your checking account.
>>
> I'd like to have an outstanding balance and track payments against it.
> Let's say I have a balance of $300.00 owing - I want to list that and
> show payments made against it.

Right, but where did that $300 balance come from?  Some expense
charge.  For example, I spend $100 on dinner, then $50 for a taxi,
and then $150 for an hotel room.  Three transactions...  They add
up to a balance of $300, see?  Then when you make a payment of $200
you'll see a balance of $100.  Three charges to expense accounts,
then one payment from your checking..

> Is this just something I am overlooking?

Yes.  When you charge an expense to your card that will set the
balance, and then when you make payments it will do that.