GnuCash Install Problems (was: Re: (no subject))

Alpar Juttner Alpar.Juttner at eth.ericsson.se
Thu Jan 29 03:05:36 CST 2004

Donald D Henson wrote:

>(SuSE 9.0, Gnome 2.2.2, Synaptic 0.46)

Try to install it directly from source. I also use SuSE 9.0 and it
worked for me (GnuCash 1.8.8).
It isn't really a difficult task. After downloading and unpacking the
.tar.gz file, you only have to start the following commands from the
root of the unpacked directory tree (it isn't necessary to be root, the
3th command will ask you for the root password):

./configure
make
su -c 'make install'

The first command may fail if it requires something which isn't
installed. In this case start 'YaST2->Software->Install and Remove
Software'. With the 'search' button you can easily find the required
package (don't forget to turn on the 'Search in Provides' as well as
'Search in Names'). Then repeat the ./configure command.

I did't have to install packages other than those was shipped with SuSE
9.0 CD's.

I found that ./configure looks for the installed packages in a quite
intelligent way.

An alternative approach: First install the gnucash version provided by
SuSE 9.0 (this installs each required packages), then install the newer
version from source as above. In this case you will have two
version of gnucash, but I'don't think it causes problems. (The path for
the new version is /usr/local/bin/gnucash)

Alpar