Gnucash for Macintosh OSX

Nigel King King at dircon.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 06:49:25 EDT 2004

Robyn or for others who do not have the time to compile,

In my experience compiling does take a long time so these instructions
work for the quick install.

Yesterday I installed Gnucash without problems on a new machine with
10.3.4.
0. X11 is installed from Panther discs.
1. I installed fink from the binary distribution
Fink-0.7.0-Installer.dmg
2. I installed finkcommander from the above distribution
3. I upgraded finkcommander per instructions
4. I ran Source->Selfupdate-rsync (not sure whether this was strictly
necessary)
5. I selected gnucash and ran Binary->Install
6. Started X11
7. Applications->Customise->Add Item
7a. Name=gnucash
7b. Command=/sw/bin/gnucash
8. Start guncash either from pulldown or by typing guncash in xterm. In
xterm error messages are displayed whereas they seem to be suppressed
using the Application menu.
9. If in not in US Edit->Preferences->International select and apply
your money and your dates scheme.
10. Enjoy

This installs the basic binary system currently at version at 1.8.8 you
will probably want to install the documentation as well I did not do
that. On 512kb link at work this all took about 2 hours with
interruptions.

Newer versions take a lot more time and are described in other mails.

I think the above is everything! Memory is not all it used to be!

Nigel King