Share GnuCash files between users?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 13 19:12:09 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 Jul 2004 13:31, Robert Heller wrote:
>   Dan Iseminger <diseminger at telus.net>,
>   In a message on Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:08:38 -0700, wrote :
>
> DI> Thanks everyone for your help.  I had created a group OK, but I was
> only DI> setting the permissions like 'chmod g+rw', not g+rwx.  Now it's
> running as it DI> should.
>
> The *directory* should have its permissions set to g+rws -- setting the
> group 'sticky' bit causes all files created in that directory to
> inherit the GID of the directory.  The plain files just need g+rw.
>
> You might also want to set your umask to 002 -- this will cause files
> you create to have group read+write permissions.
>
> The above two settings will allow GnuCash to properly clean off older
> log and backup files without errors.

Just my €0.02

>From a security point of view, you may only want that umask to affect gnucash
- depending on your group set up,  it is possible that *every* file you
create will default to read+write for all the other users on your system!

see the thread about "strange extra character in text reports" from early june
2004 for a hint about how to do this ;-)

 [ I would post a link, but I'm getting a server timeout at present for the
lists...]

Maf.