RPM release differences for same GC version [WAS: Help menu]

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Fri Jul 16 11:09:50 EDT 2004

Stewart V. Wright wrote:

> G'day Jean-David,
>
> * Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> [040716 14:43]:
>
>>I guess this is not true of all systems or, at least, all gnucash rpms.
>

> ...Great.  Dependency hell here we come!
>
> I didn't realise that there was competing packaging going on out
> there.  (I roll my own from the tar ball.)
>

>>I did rpm -q gnucash-docs and it proclaimed the package was not installed.
>>
>>I next I blindly tried to download the rpm cited and then do an
>> rpm -Uvh gnucash-docs-1.8.4-1.i386.rpm
>>and got a zillion complaints about conflicts. I picked out one of the
>>files it complained about and did an
>> rpm -qf [filename]
>>and it announced all this stuff was part of gnucash-1.8.8-0.9 already
>>installed on my system.
>

> (I will avoid the standard "use 1.8.9, it's got bug fixes"
> comment... *Grin*)
>
> Where did you get your rpm from?

I do not remember. Probably from Red Hat:

  http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/gnucash-1.8.8-0.9.i386.rpm

Of course, it would not install in RHEL 3 ES because of dependency
failures. This is _some_ of what I went through to get that version of
GnuCash (latest one, IIRC, when I started) installed on RHEL 3 ES:

http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2004-April/022119.html

> Is this the standard RHEL/Fedora
> release?

Standard RHEL 3 ES that I run differs from RHL 9:

RHEL 3 ES _does not contain GnuCash_ and _Red Hat do not_ distribute or
_support GnuCash for it_.

RHL 9 does have a release of GnuCash in it. I forget which. The RPM(s) for
GnuCash that come with RHL9 do not install on RHEL 3 ES because of
dependancy failures (not much of a surprise).

I do not know what is in Fedora; I think I had to get something out of there.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.