RPM release differences for same GC version [WAS: Help menu]

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jul 16 14:31:31 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 11:09, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> > Is this the standard RHEL/Fedora
> > release?
>
> Standard RHEL 3 ES that I run differs from RHL 9:
>
> RHEL 3 ES _does not contain GnuCash_ and _Red Hat do not_ distribute or
> _support GnuCash for it_.
>
> RHL 9 does have a release of GnuCash in it. I forget which. The RPM(s) for
> GnuCash that come with RHL9 do not install on RHEL 3 ES because of
> dependancy failures (not much of a surprise).
>
> I do not know what is in Fedora; I think I had to get something out of there.

Hey there,

Fedora Core 1 and Core 2 have both included gnucash in the distribution
and I have been successful using gnucash on each (am currently running
gnucash-1.8.9-1 on FC2 that came with it).

RHEL 3 does not include gnucash due to RedHat's decision to drop some of
the older compatibility libraries required by gnucash (hence your
dependency problems).  My understanding is that gnucash apparently is
built on Gnome 1.4 stuff.  There is a RFE that is being considered for
future releases of RHEL but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I am guessing
they are going to wait for gnucash to be ported to Gnome 2 to include
it.

Just an FYI,

--Rob