The Gnucash database?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 19 14:21:35 EDT 2004

blfs at comcast.net writes:

>     If you cant query the data easily loaded into the Gnucash program
>
>     without using the Gnucash interface that is a problem.

Sorry.  You cannot query the gnucash XML data file without using
the GnuCash interface.

>     I have installed the
>
>     program and read a little about it, but I am really stuck on this point that
>
>     it cannot import a plain flat text file.

Sorry.  You cannot input an arbitrary "flat text file".  Gnucash can
only read files of particular formats, particularly QIF and OFX (which
ARE text, but specifically formatted).  Gnucash can also read its own
XML file (which is text after all).

>     I dont understand this.

Sorry.  I cannot increase your intelligence.

>     Further, if Gnucash is a financial program it is a database no matter how
>
>     you want to define database this type of program has to be one.  It
>
>     is impossible to have a financial program that is not a database.

Is English not your primary language?  Perhaps the definition of
"database" is confusing you?  Gnucash loads the XML file into RAM
and then manipulates all the data there.