The Gnucash database?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Jul 19 14:19:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 13:58, blfs at comcast.net wrote:

>         If you cant query the data easily loaded into the Gnucash
>         program without using the Gnucash interface that is a
>         problem.  I have installed the program and read a little about

GnuCash is roughly two parts:

* An Engine
* A GUI

Somewhere in the middle is a lot of supporting code for dealing with the
backend data stores, OFX/QIF-format data importing, business objects,
scheduled transactions, &c.

>          it, but I am really stuck on this point that it cannot import
>         a plain flat text file.  I dont understand this.

Why would you expect gnucash to be able to understand arbritrary
data-formats such as your plain/flat text file?

You are welcome to contribute an interface and the supporting code which
would allow this import and format-mapping into gnucash concepts.

>         Further, if Gnucash is a financial program it is a database no
>         matter how you want to define database this type of program
>         has to be one.  It is impossible to have a financial program
>         that is not a database.

*sigh*  It's not a database in the sense that _anyone_else_ would use
that word...

I guess it could be called a data-processing engine over a base of
data.  If you want to call that a database, then fine.  But you're just
going to be hard to talk to.

...jsled

--
http://www.asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`