The Gnucash database?

Elizabeth Dodd liz at billiau.net
Mon Jul 19 22:26:07 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 12:09, blfs wrote:

> To make this discussion more concrete, let's compare
> Gnucash with Sql-ledger.
>
> I have looked at both, but I have given sql-ledger a longer
> look, but I am not using it.
>
> In sql-ledger just by the design alone I know I can
> import flat text files and I can query the date any old
> way I please once it is imported.
>
> Now the import issue is important if you are moving from
> one database to another, and the ability to query the data
> is extremely important in a financial package.
>
> I wanted to give Gnucash a go, but if I cant import data
> that is a major stumbling block right from the get go.
> Is one supposed to start by typing in data?

OK, now we understand what you are trying to ask.
You want to move data from one database to another, and are defining database
in a very wide sense.
in this case, both import and export are important.

the ability to query the data is the real reason for keeping the data in a
computerised form - whether a database or a text file.
most users of gnucash did come from the dark side, and were users of programs
like Quicken. some have made export filters to allow going back to the dark
side.
that's the beauty of OSS, you can add what filter you need.
are you capable of programming a new filter or are you just looking for one
that already exists?

Liz

--
Maryel brought her bat into Exit once and started whacking people on
the dance floor.  Now everyone's doing it.  It's called grand slam dancing.