The Gnucash database?

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Mon Jul 19 22:47:17 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:09, blfs wrote:

> I wanted to give Gnucash a go, but if I cant import data
> that is a major stumbling block right from the get go.
> Is one supposed to start by typing in data?

I think you've been told repeatedly that yes you can import QIF and OFX
formatted text files into gnucash since those formats have the necessary
"financial" information and have been supported by various players in
the financial software industry....

But, as was also pointed out to you, you could define your own text file
format and write a set of routines to massage the information into the
xml files used by gnucash.  Of course, your mileage may vary....

But, dealing with a few facts here: you have stated nothing about what
you mean by a text file.....  If you are talking about a simple CSV file
of your own choosing, how do you get that into any financial package?

Now if you want to talk about the big boys that are storing their data
into DBMS environments, they also pay people to massage the data into
some pre-defined text file format with all the necessary fields required
by the accounting package someone is converting to.  Gee, sounds like
the QIF and OFX formats we've been telling you about.....

I think you either need to get much more specific on fields, data, etc
and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  Because, obviously there
is not a single person on this list that is understanding you.....

Help us to help you......

--Rob