The Gnucash database?

Doctorcam cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Tue Jul 20 00:14:07 EDT 2004

* Robert Locke (rlocke at ralii.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:09, blfs wrote:
>
> > I wanted to give Gnucash a go, but if I cant import data
> > that is a major stumbling block right from the get go.
> > Is one supposed to start by typing in data?
>
> I think you've been told repeatedly that yes you can import QIF and OFX
> formatted text files into gnucash since those formats have the necessary
> "financial" information and have been supported by various players in
> the financial software industry....
>
> But, as was also pointed out to you, you could define your own text file
> format and write a set of routines to massage the information into the
> xml files used by gnucash.  Of course, your mileage may vary....
>
> But, dealing with a few facts here: you have stated nothing about what
> you mean by a text file.....  If you are talking about a simple CSV file
> of your own choosing, how do you get that into any financial package?
>
> Now if you want to talk about the big boys that are storing their data
> into DBMS environments, they also pay people to massage the data into
> some pre-defined text file format with all the necessary fields required
> by the accounting package someone is converting to.  Gee, sounds like
> the QIF and OFX formats we've been telling you about.....
>
> I think you either need to get much more specific on fields, data, etc
> and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  Because, obviously there
> is not a single person on this list that is understanding you.....

I think I understand - he wants to be able to import his existing
files straight into Gnucash without having to do any work - or at
least minimise his efforts.  Because he can't do that, he's making
gnucash wrong, and got off on the wrong foot.  Some people seem to
start with assertions instead of questions, and then have to
backtrack.

I'd say he has two options: write a script to convert his existing
data to either QIF or OFX, or write a script to import the data as
is.  Given the assignment routines already included in gnucash for
importation, I'd choose the former.  That has to be easier and more
straightforward.  If his data are already in some typical database
format, the ordering of fields and insertion of markers ought to be
relatively easy, if perhaps a little tedious to set up.

> Help us to help you......

Amen.

Cam

--