rfc or suggestion--save backups function for gnucash

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 05:20:32 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 9:49, jdebert wrote:
> I think gnucash could benefit from a function to (optionally) save
> backup copies of an account file before and after opening.

Have you found GnuCash file access to be unreliable? Why a backup every single
time - are you archiving these or just letting the latest one overwrite the
previous? WHY? I backup all ~/ data to CDR but I've never needed to recover a
GnuCash file from a backup copy, even after changing distro, upgrading
GnuCash, tinkering with the code, using CVS, nothing. I've been rescued by a
backup many, many times for other programs but never for GnuCash.

> The function would feature three methods: "do not make backups", "make
> backups" and "exec an external app or script to make backups".

There should be some explanation about why this is necessary - it could give
the unjustified impression that GnuCash is unreliable.

> Currently I use a shell wrapper to make backups before and after running
> gnucash.

Why?

> Putting this feature into gnucash may make it more flexible and
> helpful to ordinary users who would not be able to make or install
> wrappers.

You haven't explained why this would be necessary.

> Does this seem like something useful?

Not to me.
:-)

--