Scheduled Transactions

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jul 20 07:30:26 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:48, Rudye McGlothlin wrote:

> I use it for home use, and I set up my reoccuring bills as scheduled
> transactions.

With the wiki-related part resolved, onto the gnucash part... ;)

> Often, my bill is due towards the end of the month (say
> 07/28) and this is the date I give the scheduler.  However, I tend to
> sit and pay all my bills when I get paid, on the 15th.

Aye.

> I would like to see what bills are going to be due through the end of
> the month and pay them at this time.  I can't find a way to take a
> scheduled transaction and force it to occur ahead of the date it is
> scheduled for.

In this situation, I would elect to Remind, 15 days in advance.

This would, for the N days before the bill is due, make an entry in the
"since last run..." dialog, on a specific initial page for "reminders".
You can then choose to select the entry and "promote" it to a fresh
to-be-created transaction [and do variable bindings, review, &c.] as is
your desire.

Will this not work?

I can easily see the argument that it's too "heavyweight" ... that the
reminder should be a less-disruptive user-interface event.

> I would like to do a 'Pay Now' action from the scheduled
> transactions editor.  Otherwise I have to enter the bill when I pay it,
> and when the scheduler pops up with it, I have to remember to ignore
> that particular one so I don't have two entries.

There are a couple of mechanisms for correctly handling "postponing" and
"ignoring" scheduled transaction instances... but only once they've made
it into the since-last-run dialog.

I have an oustanding bug for being able to edit the "Postponed" SX list
from within the SX editor, but your suggestion is even better.  Please
file a bug at bugzilla.gnome.org.

> Is there a way to force the scheduler to build a transaction and reset
> to the next date ahead of time?

Only via the aforementioned steps;  I only really had time to provide
such functionality through the Since Last Run dialog...

> In a related question, I went to the wiki looking for this.  Doesn't
> seem to be very many questions there.  Is there a way for the user to
> add questions to the wiki?

FWIW, I've extensively used a wiki for conversation, and it's not very
good at it [1].  I'd prefer discussion here, synopsis there.

...jsled

[1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiIsNotAboutDebate

--
http://www.asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`