Backup idea

Alan H. Lake alan.lake at lakeinfoworks.com
Tue Jul 20 13:55:53 EDT 2004

I have received a request and have an idea as to how to fulfill it.  I'd
like to know if someone has a better idea or has developed part of what
the implementation of this idea would require.

The request is to be able to back up the GnuCash data so that it could
be read by Excel.  The thinking is that Linux machine are still in the
minority and it would be good to be able to get at the data on a Windows
machine in case of a disaster.

It appears that GnuCash stores its data in XML format.  I could use PHP
to access the data, then write it out in CSV format.  Right now, I don't
know all of the tags that I might encounter, but I do know which ones
are being used in the file I need to back up.

Are there any ideas or suggestions that might expedite this project?